Thank you for your interest in Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research
Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research, Inc. is offering summer internships in wildlife rehabilitation during the 2018 nesting bird season. A limited number of full-season (12 weeks) internships with stipends may be available. Full season, six-week and part-time volunteer internships are also offered.
Interns work in the Wild Bird Clinic and along with the permanent staff care for the hatching year and adult birds admitted during the summer. Full season interns are expected to contribute 40+ hours / week for a minimum of 12 weeks. Internships are scheduled between mid-May and August 31; actual start and stop dates are approximate and flexibility with early or late start dates may be possible (especially for University’s ending in May).
A summer internship at Tri-State is an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on animal care experience at a qualified and well-established wildlife rehabilitation facility. Knowledge and experience will be gained in the husbandry and rehabilitation of a wide variety of species of wild birds from the mid-Atlantic region. Interns participate with the staff and volunteers in the daily activities of the rehabilitation center, and responsibilities will include:
- Feeding and care of orphaned baby birds of all ages.
- Feeding and care of injured or diseased adult birds.
- Daily care and cleanliness of the pre-release birds housed in 33 outdoor enclosures.
- Monitoring the overall condition of birds under your care, providing feedback to the clinic supervisors.
- Assisting with some of the medical treatments performed by the staff and volunteers.
- Keeping accurate records according to Tri-State’s protocols.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Students are encouraged to have school or faculty sponsors.
- Demonstrated involvement or current study in animal or wildlife-related field.
- Must be reliable, in good physical condition, available to work weekends and evening shifts.
- Must possess the ability to make accurate observations and follow detailed instructions.
- Must possess leadership and supervisory abilities and enjoy working with a variety of people.
- Must be able to learn quickly and be self-directed.
- Be able to work under pressure and keep a sense of humor.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a letter of application describing your experience and reason for seeking an internship at Tri-State, along with a current resume with references on or before March 30th. Applicants will be contacted for interviews. Intern positions will be filled by mid-April and applicants will be notified of their acceptance at that time.
Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, Inc.
110 Possum Hollow Rd
Newark DE 19711
302-737-9543, ext. 104
Veterinary Student Externship:
Tristate Bird Rescue (TSBR) is accepting applications from 4th year veterinary students attending veterinary school in the United States for a 3-6 week externship. TSBR has two main programs: 1. a wild avian rehabilitation clinic that admits approximately 3,000 cases per year as well as 2. an oiled wildlife response team. TSBR employs 1 full time veterinarian. Externs will work closely with the veterinarian to perform the care, treatments, procedures, and husbandry of approximately 5 assigned cases. In addition, the extern will be involved in admission of new patients; diagnostics such as radiography, fecal examination and basic bloodwork; surgeries; recheck examinations; avian ophthalmology; and medical record keeping. Applicants must be in their 4th year of veterinary school (or the equivalent) in the United States. Applicants must have completed at least 1 clinical rotation within their school’s hospital prior to the TSBR externship. Interested applicants should email Dr. Cristin Kelley at email@example.com.